Saturday, February 11, 2012

Things like this dont happen to non-dog people...

I am staying a hotel outside of Nashville TN tonight. Too far outside of Nashville to travel that far for dinner so I opted for "Pizza Done Right" which is next door to my motel. I received a baffled stare when I asked if they had broccoli as a pizza topping option. The pizza came too doughy with too much cheese and not enough vegetables but that is beside the point.

I am of course traveling with 4 dogs. Getting them all into the room requires a small amount of logistics. It works something like this : setup Steel's softcrate, bring him in the room and crate him. Bring Calix in and turn him loose in room. Move Amber into Calix's crate in van and bring Amber's vari kennel into room. Bring Amber into room and put her in varikennel. Bring Jill in and turn her loose in room.

But before all that happens I bring the pizza in and leave it in bathroom with door closed. It is an important step (especially to be done before the Calix step happens). So the dogs are all fed, walked and inside and I am set to sit down for my pizza. Except some genius in the room before me had depressed the lock on the open bathroom door. So when I closed the bathroom door I effectively locked my pizza in for some privacy and solitude. Crap! Sure I could call the front desk but being a Sat night who exactly are they gonna send? Plus I would have to repeat the above steps all in reverse because who is going to want to come in to fix my door with 2 rottweilers, a german shepherd and a malinois in the room? And then I have to explain to some likely non-dog person why the heck I put a pizza in the bathroom and closed the door?  At this point the thought of putting the dogs all back into the van made me want to kick my way through the bathroom door and worry about it in the morning. I tried to slip something into the tiny hole in the knob. Nope. Same thing for the little hole in the side. Still no luck. No outside hinges on the door. Finally I was able to push hard on the top corner of the door, creating a gap big enough to slip a piece of plastic in and then I slid the plastic down to the knob and the door popped open.

However I will probably need to explain why my room key looks like this when I check out tomorrow:


2 comments: