Sunday, September 16, 2012

Their greetings match their personalities....

I rarely leave my dogs for any length of time. Actually, up until these past few weeks, I NEVER leave my dogs for any length of time. However with the exception of Amber I would have been surprised if anyone had any issues being left with Dawn. First of all they are used to going there often, so often that Dawn should start charging us rent. Dawn also works from home and has the skill and experience to manage them along with all of her dogs. They are also easy going, low maintenance dogs (again except for Amber) so I was pretty certain they would adjust just fine; which they did. Their responses upon my return however were quite different - which should not have surprised me, given the difference in personalities.

Jill of course was over the moon with happiness. Her greeting was effusive and prolonged. She did not let me out of her sight for the rest of the night, slept on top of me on the bed and is still, several days later, making sure she stays as nearby as possible. Her demeanor is not upset or needy, just very very happy. So happy in fact that she nailed a first place competing in obedience today, after us not having trained in practically a month.

Jilly Bean with her first place medallion


Calix's response was also typical to his personality. He is the loving but rather self centered GUY of the group. He came racing over, jumped on me, vocalized his happiness and then went about his returned-to-normal life. As a friend described it, it is a bit like when you lose your wallet and then find it. Your are happy and relieved and then you pop it back into your purse or pocket and go on with your life. I think I am a wallet to Calix.....



"You mean it's NOT all about me??"


Amber, unlike the rest of the gang, has trouble coping with normal everyday life. She tends to cling to routine and look for predictability in her day - something that is rare in my life. She needs careful management in order to avoid developing separation anxiety or other behavior problems. I have to keep her mental state in mind but not cater to her issues. She also isn't comfortable with people outside of her inner circle and while she had met Dawn it was only in association with me. She was pretty freaked out for the first few days and then adapted to looking to Dawn for her needs and decided that Dawn could be trusted. She was VERY glad to see me, however if I am away for a few hours I get the exact same greeting.


The little weird girl.....

Steel, had a hard time with the greeting because there was something else in the room that was almost as good as my arrival. He apparently developed a strong attachment to Dawn's boyfriend, who was kind enough to pick me up at the airport. So he was like "MOM'S HOME!" "But MARK'S HERE!" but "MOM'S HOME". As usual it was as if we planned all of that especially for him, Mr "Every-Day-is-My- Birthday".  He did come sneaking up to me at bedtime and press his forehead against me to get some snuggling. After all, when you are a big tough police dog with muscles you have to maintain an image in public. It is hard to be tough when you work for your mother though....


Momma's Boy, just don't tell anyone.....





No comments:

Post a Comment