Monday, September 12, 2011

You can teach an old dog new tricks...

Or at least how to do the "trick" he knows just a little bit differently!

I had wanted to get Steel entered in a TDX (AKC's Tracking Dog Excellent) test before we moved south. There was one in NH this weekend but it gave preference to goldens, due to being a specialty, so we did not get in. However...on a whim I thought - well what the heck since I am entering Steel why not enter Calix for his TD (Tracking Dog) test? So of course HE gets into his test!

Over the last week I debated about whether to go (while trying to make a dent in packing to move).  At the last minute I decided to go give it a shot. We draw track #1 which means we went first. For those of you who have seen Calix come out of the car to work, it is not a calm nor quiet event. He comes blasting out of the car, wanting to know where the start is. They point out the start flag and suggest that I "hold on" and we are off with Calix head down and on a mission, cornering on rails at each turn.

Then we get to the end article..... Up until a few weeks ago Calix NEVER did articles on tracks in all his years of working. We did evidence recovery and we did tracking and never should the two come together. Articles on tracks are merely information to be noted as you attempt to get to the end of the track. So I have been doing a lots of articles lately and trying to convince him that they are not stupid. At the test he shot by the article and threw his head up about 10' past it. I then looked around and spotted the article and , lucky for me, he backtracked and did a quick sit next to it. Phew!

Everyone claps etc and the judges come over to congratulate me. Then the really funny part starts. As we are talking Calix is getting annoyed in a way that only he can get. Shuffling his feet and warming up his vocal cords getting ready to throw a tantrum if things don't start to suit him soon. The problem? As far as he is concerned we are not done yet, we have just stopped in the middle of a perfectly good track to chat!  The judges comment that it "looks like he wants to keep going". He tracks all the way out of the field, right up to the group and then starts sniffing each person in the group. They think he is being friendly. Ha! He is going through the crowd going "Not you. Not you. Not you." Until he find the tracklayer. Then he looks at me as if to say "There! NOW the track is over!" and heads to the car all smug and satisfied.

He got lots of compliments and I had a hard time convincing everyone that he was 10 years old. As usual I can always count on Calix to exceed all my expectations but to do it in his own "special" way.
 
 



Classic Calix tracking pic courtesy of Dawn Neff. I think I need to work on his intensity!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment